Nursing Education Scholarship Fund
LOHF offers financial assistance for Lancaster County residents
pursuing nursing degrees at key local accredited colleges and universities.
Since 2003, The Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation has remained committed to helping to meet the needs of the Lancaster County community for skilled health professionals by providing tuition scholarships for Lancaster County students. Each year, scholarships are awarded to deserving students who are beginning their nursing education, as well as students who are looking to advance their nursing careers.
- Applications are due to LOHF by May 29, 2015
- Interviews will be scheduled for July 2015
- Funds will be provided to area nursing schools in August 2015
- A reception with nurse scholars and families will be held in September 2015
Applications for 2016 funds will be available in January 2016.
2014 Nurse Scholarship Recipients
- 1 LPN, 5, RN’s, 4 BSN’s, 4 MSN’s, 3 Ph.D.’s
- $57,764 pledged to these 17 nurses over the next 3 years as they complete their current educational goals
- Of the 17 scholarship recipients, 2 previously received a Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation scholarship
- They represent the following nursing schools:
- Lancaster County Career and Technology Center
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Eastern Mennonite University
- PA College of Health Sciences
- Millersville University
- The Pennsylvania State University
- Aspen University
- Drexel University
- Cappella University
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- To learn more about our current nurse scholars, view our 2014 reception slides or our 2014 program guide.
Nurse Education Scholarship Program Facts:
- Since 2003, 179 scholarships have been awarded to local students.
- The Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation has invested $633,201 in the education of local nurses.
- Of the 179 scholarship recipients, 93% have fulfilled the program requirements and are working in Lancaster County health facilities.
Breakdown of Degrees Awarded:
- 58 Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN)
- 69 Registered Nurses (RN)
- 17 Bachelor of Science Bridge Program Degrees (RN-BSN)
- 17 Bachelor of Science Degrees(BSN)
- 12 Master of Sciences Degrees (MSN)
- 3 PhDs
- 1 Doctoral of Nurse Practioner (DNP)
- 2 School Nurse Certificates (SNC)
Each year, LOHF awards four specific named scholarships
to honor nurses whose career goals honor
- Harold H. Finkel, D.O. Memorial Scholarship honors Dr. Finkel, a pediatrician who practiced for many years in Lancaster County. He was instrumental in establishing the nurse scholarship program.
- St. Joseph Hospital’s School of Nursing Alumni Scholarship established in honor of the alumni of St. Joseph’s Hospital School of Nursing.
- Linda Gort, M.S.N., C.R.N.P. Honorary Scholarship honors Linda Gort, former Foundation Board member who played an important part in the establishment of the nurse scholarship program.
- Lancaster County School Nurses Association Scholarship honors a nurse who plans to become a school nurse.
A nursing scholarship selection committee meets in June and July each year to review applications received, interview candidates, and determine funding allocations. The Committee represents nurses with diverse backgrounds, and includes prior scholarship recipients and LOHF Board members.
LOHF convenes a nursing scholarship policy committee of area nursing school representatives each year in December to discuss careers in nursing, challenges facing schools and opportunities for the scholarship program to advance nursing in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
LOHF is committed to supporting nurses in Lancaster County, and we welcome your contributions to this valuable program. If you are interested in serving in a volunteer role, please contact us. We constantly strive to grow the nursing scholarship fund and welcome any contributions to strengthen the capacity of our nurses in Lancaster County.